Historic House Tour

Tour 10 Fabulous Sites!


Sunday, September 29, 2019
Noon – 6:00 p.m.

Advance Tickets

$20 WBLAHS Members$25 Non-member (Become a Member!)

Purchase tickets online, by phone at 651-407-5327, or at:

White Bear Lake Armory2228 4th Street
Open Tuesday – Thursday from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.

Tickets may also be purchased for $30 on the day of event at the Armory.



House 1

4621 Lake Avenue
White Bear Lake
Built in 1885
Sponsored by: Joy Erickson – Edina Realty

This prime lot along the lake was transferred throughout the 1850s as part of a large tract of land consisting of much of the lakeshore between Shady Lane and 12th Street along Lake Avenue. When White Bear was platted in 1871 by the Lake Superior and Mississippi Railroad Clark Avenue on the side of this lot was named for railroad president Frank Clark.

House 2

4304 Cottage Park Rd
White Bear Lake
Built in 2017
Sponsored by: White Bear Country Inn & Rudy’s Redeye Grill

The area known as Cottage Park was the first area around the lake to be settled by European-Americans in the 1850s. This home featuring new construction methods takes full advantage of the same amenity that has attracted people for centuries – the lake!  Vintage woolen swimsuits and a nautical motif bring the history and the influence of the water together within the dwelling.

House 3

First Presbyterian Church
4821 Bloom Avenue
White Bear Lake
Built in 1958-59
Sponsored by: Lakeshore Players

The First Presbyterian Church of White Bear Lake was formally organized on May 28, 1864, under the leadership of two missionaries from the St. Paul Presbytery.  By the 1950s First Presbyterian was in need of a larger facility and ground was broken for a new sanctuary at the intersection of Bloom Avenue and Fifth Street in 1958. Beautiful stained glass is a highlight of the sanctuary.

House 4

2524 Crestline Drive
White Bear Lake
Built in 1963
Sponsored by: Trade Press

This home was constructed as part of the 1950s and 1960s building boom that increased the population of White Bear Lake four-fold. The need for housing was high and local developers worked diligently to meet the demand. More than fifty years later, housing needs in our community have changed and this home, with its lower level redesigned to function as a completely separate dwelling space is an example of how many are adapting to those demands.

House 5

White Bear Town Hall
1279 Hammond Road
Built in 1885,
Moved in 1910, 1951 & 2015
Sponsored by: WBLAHS

The White Bear Town Hall continues to tell the stories of our area through the structure itself and through the displays within. Stop by to see what has been accomplished to date and what the White Bear Lake Area Historical Society has in store for this remarkable Cass Gilbert designed structure.

House 6

70 Quail Street, Mahtomedi
Built in 1908
Sponsored by: Paul the Plumber

This cottage is built on Lot 4 of the Hotel Block of the Mahtomedi Assembly which was originally platted in 1883. Initially, this block was the site of the Mahtomedi Hotel, which accommodated guests visiting the Chautauqua. The hotel was partially dismantled in 1907 and portions were used to construct several cottages in the area including this one.

House 7

Original White Bear High School
aka White Bear Lake Area Schools District Center
4855 Bloom Avenue
White Bear Lake

Built in 1918-19
Sponsored by: The Carlson Clinic

Visit the original White Bear High School building which functioned as the first dedicated high school for the area from 1919 into the 1950s. The original building included just the section between the two stairwell bays that bookend the structure.  Three uniform window sections occupied the entire facade and “White Bear High School” was engraved across the top.

House 8

4523 Lincoln Avenue
White Bear Lake
Built 1885-89
Sponsored by: Downtown White Bear Lake

This home was built as the home of the William W. Webber family who had settled at White Bear in 1855. William’s first wife, Amanda, and two of their sons died in the 1860s and were buried on the farm.  Webber and his surviving son, William Jr. remained and soon realized there was a need for a non-denominational cemetery. Union Cemetery was formally organized out of section 36 of the Webber farm property in 1877.   

House 9

219 Park Avenue, Mahtomedi
Built 2017-18
Sponsored by: Edina Realty – Kathy & Lisa Madore

This property known as Lot 16 of Block 1 of the Forest Heights Plat of Washington County was originally platted in 1915. In June of 1919 the lot and the one immediately adjacent were purchased by the Cardozos and was the site of lovely lakeside home. That early structure was demolished in 2007 and a new home replaced it and succumbed to fire in 2012. The current home on the site has a modern architectural style that takes advantage of the lakeshore lot which drew people more than a century ago.  

House 10

Fillebrown House
4735 Lake Avenue
White Bear Lake
Built in 1879 
Sponsored by: White Bear Lawn & Snow

The Fillebrown House charmingly illustrates White Bear’s golden resort years as an example of the rustic Stick Style of architecture.  With many furnishings contributed from the three families who owned the cottage  over the years the house serves as a timeline of its history.

Bonus Site

Union Cemetery
Hwy 96 & 2nd Street

Many of White Bear Lake’s early residents are now resting in Union Cemetery which was officially established on June 27, 1877. Take a short self-guided mini-tour of the cemetery.

Thank you for your support!

We couldn’t do it without the graciousness of the homeowners, the commitment of our volunteers, the support of our sponsors and the interest of all those who attend! Thank you for supporting the White Bear Lake Area Historical Society in our biggest fundraiser of the year!